Same Bridge from the Side. Railroad Bridge over the Lososinka River, Petrozavodsk
The Murmansk Railroad was built by the Russian government during World War I to connect Petrograd (Saint Petersburg) to the ice-free port of Romanov-on-Murman (now Murmansk). Construction lasted from 1914 to the spring of 1917 when the line was completed. Shown here is construction on the bridge over the Lososinka River near the Petrozavodsk Station. The 25-kilometer Lososinka originates at Lososinskoe Lake and flows through Petrozavodsk, where it empties into Lake Ladoga. Log scaffolding supports the track and structural work on the bridge, which is faced with limestone blocks. This photograph reveals the significant challenges in laying a rail line over marshy terrain with uneven bedrock. Visible on the right is track work on the north side of the bridge. Fir trees rise over pasture fields in the left background. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. Support for his work was renewed during the First World War, and in 1916 he was commissioned to photograph scenes along the new railroad.
Title in Original Language
Тот же мост сбоку. [Ж. д. мосту через р. Лососинку ок. ст. Петрозаводск Мурм. ж. д.]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: May 24, 2017