Petrozavodsk Station on the Olonetsk Railroad
Construction of a new railroad to the ice-free port of Murmansk lasted from 1914 to the spring of 1917, when it was connected to the capital, Petrograd. The caption for this image mistakenly identifies this structure as the Petrozavodsk station, which was along the route. In fact, it is one of the depot buildings at the Lodeinoe Pole station. Located on the Svir River and now a part of Leningrad oblast, Lodeinoe Pole was at the time of this photograph a part of Olenets Province. The Olenets Railway was a major link between the Murmansk railroad and Petrograd. In the background is the dome and spire of the late neoclassical Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, completed in 1843. Heavily damaged during fighting on the Karelian front during World War II, the cathedral was razed in the 1960s. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. Support for his work was renewed during the First World War, and in 1916 he was commissioned to photograph this new railroad project.
Title in Original Language
Станция Петрозаводск Олонецкой ж. дор.
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: May 24, 2017