A Mexican Hacienda


This photochrome view of a Mexican hacienda, or ranch, is one of 36 images of Mexico taken by William Henry Jackson (1843-1942) in 1884-85 and listed in the catalog of the Detroit Photographic Company. Jackson took photographs of street scenes, buildings, markets, ranches, and other subjects in Mexico City, Amecameca, Aguascalientes, Chapultepec, Chihuahua, San Marcos, Tacubaya, and other places in Mexico. The location of this hacienda is not identified. The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr. and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained the exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This process permitted the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. Jackson was employed by the firm, which became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905, from 1897 to 1924, and was its most well-known photographer.

Last updated: September 18, 2015