Village of Leushino. Russian Empire
The Mariinsky Canal System (now known as the Volga-Baltic Waterway) links Saint Petersburg with the Volga River basin. In 1909, when this photograph was taken, a primary component of the waterway was the Sheksna River, which drained White Lake (Beloe ozero) at its southeast corner and flowed west to the Volga. The Sheksna merged with the Volga near the town of Rybinsk. The Sheksna is now largely hidden by vast reservoirs created in the 1940s, which submerged much of the land along the river. Among the submerged villages was Leushino, located down the Sheksna from Cherepovets near the present-day village of Miaksa. The photograph shows log structures in Leushino, including a windmill whose upper part rotates on a cuboid base. Also visible are large threshing barns and a few houses. Behind the forest on the right is the dome of the Trinity Cathedral and the bell tower of the Leushinskii Convent. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Деревня Леушино. [Российская империя]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 23, 2016