Cathedral in the Plaza De Armas, Lima, Peru
This photograph of Lima’s cathedral is from the Frank and Frances Carpenter Collection at the Library of Congress. Frank G. Carpenter (1855–1924) was an American writer of books on travel and world geography, whose works helped to popularize cultural anthropology and geography in the United States in the early years of the 20th century. Consisting of photographs taken and gathered by Carpenter and his daughter Frances (1890–1972) to illustrate his writings, the collection includes an estimated 16,800 photographs and 7,000 glass and film negatives. This photograph appeared in Lands of the Andes and the Desert (1924), part of his Carpenter's World Travels series, with the caption: “Pizarro selected the Plaza de Armas as the centre of the future city of Lima, and laid the cornerstone of the first cathedral erected on this site. The present structure contains the bones of the conqueror.” The text noted that the “interior of the cathedral is impressive. The high altar of massive silver construction and the stalls of the sanctuary are fine specimens of the best carving done by the Indians when that art was still in its prime. On the walls are fine paintings by Murrillo and other masters, and the chapels are of exceeding beauty.” The Plaza de Armas is now more often called the Plaza Mayor.
Type of Item
1 photographic print
Last updated: August 18, 2014