Chapel in Miatusovo. Russian Empire


This 1909 photograph depicts a chapel in the village of Miatusovo, which is located upriver from the town of Podporozhe on the Svir River. The chapel was built in the late 19th century of brick covered with stucco. The decorative gable over the entrance contains an inscription. The structure, which no longer exists, was enclosed by a picket fence. In the background is a large house built of logs. The Svir River, which flows 224 kilometers from Lake Onega west to Lake Ladoga, is a major part of the Mariinskii Canal system (now known as the Volga-Baltic Waterway) that links Saint Petersburg with the Volga River basin. The section of the river near Miatusovo used to be especially difficult for navigation because of a series of rapids, an obstacle overcome only when the Svir was enlarged as part of the hydraulic works completed along the waterway in the early 1950s. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Часовня в Мятусове. [Российская империя]

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 23, 2016