Kingdom of Algarve


This 18th-century map, most likely a reprint from an early-19th century French atlas, shows the Kingdom of the Algarve. In 1249, King Alfonso III of Portugal completed the reconquest of southern Portugal from the Moors. Thereafter, Alfonso took to calling himself the King of Portugal and the Algarves. The Algarve, which corresponds to the present-day region of Faro, retained a semi-autonomous existence under Portuguese rule until 1910, when it was merged into the newly proclaimed Republic of Portugal. The Algarve was famous as the location from which, in Sagres, the 15th-century prince, Henry the Navigator, launched his voyages of discovery into the Atlantic. The word Algarve comes from the Arabic el-Garbh, meaning “the West.”


Date Created

Subject Date


Title in Original Language

Reino do Algarve

Additional Subjects

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 map : color ; 17 x 24 centimeters

Last updated: February 9, 2012