Saint Petersburg Province
This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts St. Petersburg Province, located in the northwestern part of the empire. The province borders lakes Ladoga and Onega to the northeast, Lake Chudskoe and the Gulf of Finland to the west, and the Grand Duchy of Finland to the north (part of present-day Finland). St. Petersburg, the administrative center of the province, was founded by Peter the Great in 1703. The card indicates that the distance from St. Petersburg to Moscow was 719¾ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: May 24, 2017