This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Nizhegorod Province, located in the western part of the empire. Nizhnii Novgorod, situated at the confluence of the Volga and Oka rivers, was the administrative center of the province. The city was founded in 1221, and became an important trade center between Russia and the East. The card indicates that the distance from Nizhnii Novgorod to St. Petersburg was 1,096¼ versts, and from Nizhnii Novgorod to Moscow, 443 versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: June 3, 2015