This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Moscow Province, located in the western part of the empire. The province was established by Peter the Great in 1708. Moscow, situated on the Moscow River, was the administrative center of the province, and is the capital of present-day Russia. The card indicates that the distance from Moscow to St. Petersburg was 719¾ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: May 24, 2017