This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts the Belostok Region, located in the western part of the empire, bordering on Poland. Belostok was acquired by Russia from Prussia in 1807, under the terms of the Treaties of Tilsit. The city of Belostok (Białystok, in Polish) was the administrative center of the region, and is located in present-day Poland. The card indicates that the distance from Belostok to St. Petersburg was 1,065 versts, and from Belostok to Moscow, 1,108½ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: May 24, 2017