This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Simbir Province, located in the western part of the empire. Simbirsk (present-day Ulianovsk), the administrative center of the province, is situated on the Volga River. It was founded in 1648, as a fortress to defend Russia's southern frontier. The card indicates that the distance from Simbirsk to St. Petersburg was 1,472½ versts, and from Simbirsk to Moscow, 753 versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: June 3, 2015