This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Kazan Province, located in the southwestern part of the empire. Kazan', situated on the Volga River, was the administrative center of the province. Kazan' was taken from the Golden Horde, the Mongol Khanate, by Ivan IV (“the Terrible”) in 1552. The card indicates that the distance from Kazan' to St. Petersburg was 1,541½ versts, and from Kazan' to Moscow, 821¾ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: June 3, 2015