This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Kaluga Province, located in the western part of the empire. The province was the scene of a number of battles between the French and Russian armies during Napoleon’s invasion of Russia in 1812. The administrative center of the province was Kaluga, a small city situated on the Oka River. The card indicates that the distance from Kaluga to St. Petersburg was 887¼ versts, and from Kaluga to Moscow, 167½ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: June 3, 2015