This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Vologoda Province, located in the western part of the empire. Vologda, the administrative center of the province, is situated on the Vologda River. It was founded in 1147 by traders from Novgorod. The card indicates that the distance from Vologda to St. Petersburg was 710 versts, and from Vologda to Moscow, 428 versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: May 24, 2017