This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Tambov Province, located in the western part of the empire. Tambov, the administrative center of the province, was founded as a fortress in 1636, and is located on the Tsna River. The card indicates that the distance from Tambov to St. Petersburg was 1,194 versts, and from Tambov to Moscow, 474¼ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: May 24, 2017