This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Vladimir Province, located in the western part of the empire. Vladimir, the administrative center of the province, is situated on the Kliazma River. Vladimir was founded in 1108 by Vladimir II Monomakh, grand prince of Kiev. The card indicates that the distance from Vladimir to St. Petersburg was 893¼ versts, and from Vladimir to Moscow, 173½ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: May 24, 2017