The Town of Cherkassk (Land of the Don Cossacks)
This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts the town of Cherkassk in the Land of the Don Cossacks, located in the western part of the empire. The land is divided into its western and eastern parts by the Don River, which flows into the Sea of Azov in the southwest. In 1805, the Cossacks moved their capital from Cherkassk to Novocherkassk, which is marked on the map as the administrative center. The card indicates that the distance from Novocherkassk to Moscow was 1,289 versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Город Черкасск (Земля донских казаков)
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: May 24, 2017