Sketch of the Careysburg Road
Careysburg, Liberia, was established in late 1856 by order of the Liberian Senate and House of Representatives. It was the country’s first interior settlement, and was deliberately situated on a plateau surrounded by hills in order to provide a healthier environment for settlers unable to cope with the heat, humidity, and disease-carrying mosquitoes of the coastal lowlands. The town was named for the Reverend Lott Carey (1780-1828), a former slave from Richmond, Virginia, the first American Baptist missionary to Africa, and an important figure in the early affairs of Liberia. This 1867 pen-and-ink and pencil sketch of the Careysburg Road from Careysburg to Receptacle Hill and from Receptacle Hill to the St. Pauls River most likely was made in connection with the construction or maintenance of the road. The notes and tables contain information about the streams crossed by the road, culverts, and other physical features. William Douglass, the maker of the sketch, was one of the first settlers in Careysburg. His surviving letters and other documents identify him as a farmer who raised sugar cane, an agent of the American Colonization Society who helped settle new emigrants from Virginia, and a deacon in the Careysburg Methodist Church.
Title in Original Language
Sketch of the Careysburg Road, & c.
Type of Item
2 pen-and-ink and pencil manuscript profiles on 1 sheet ; sheet 32 x 49 centimeters
- Not drawn to scale
Last updated: October 17, 2011