This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Arkhangelsk Province, located in the far north of European Russia, and bordered by the White, Barents, and Kara seas. Arkhangel'sk, the administrative center of the province, was founded in 1584 and became an important port. The card indicates that the distance from Arkhangel'sk to St. Petersburg was 1,136½ versts, and from Arkhangel'sk to Moscow, 1,218½ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: May 24, 2017