This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Mogilev Province, located in part of present-day Belarus. The province was acquired by Russia in 1772 after the first partition of Poland. Mogilev (Mahilyow, in Belarusian), situated on the Dnieper (Dnyapro, in Belarusian) River, was the administrative center of the province. The card indicates that the distance from Mogilev to St. Petersburg was 783 versts, and from Mogilev to Moscow, 564½ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: May 24, 2017