This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Tomsk Province, located in the south-central part of the empire. Tomsk, the administrative center of the province, is situated on the Tom' River above its confluence with the Ob'. It was built in 1604 as a fortress by Tsar Boris Godunov. The card indicates that the distance from Tomsk to St. Petersburg was 4,339½ versts, and from Tomsk to Moscow, 3,823¾ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: June 3, 2015