This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts Courland Province , located in part of present-day Latvia, and bordered by the Baltic Sea and the Gulf of Riga. Russia acquired the territory of Courland Province after the third partition of Poland, in 1795. Mitau (now Jelgava) was the administrative center of the province. The card indicates that the distance from Mitau to St. Petersburg was 597½ versts, and from Mitau to Moscow, 1,107¾ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: June 3, 2015