Kingdom of Poland
This early-19th century playing card is from a set of 60 such cards, each devoted to a different province or territory of the Russian Empire, which at the time included the Grand Duchy of Finland, Congress Poland, and Russian America. One side of each card shows the local costume and the provincial coat of arms; the other side contains a map. This card depicts the Kingdom of Poland, located in part of present-day Poland, and bordered by Prussia to the northwest and the Austrian Empire to the south. Poland lost its independence in the late 18th century, when its territory was partitioned, in three successive stages, by Russia, Prussia, and Austria. In 1815, at the conclusion of the Napoleonic Wars, the Congress of Vienna established the Kingdom of Poland, which was linked to the Russian Empire in a personal union through the person of the Russian tsar. Warsaw, the capital of the kingdom, is situated on the Vistula (Wisła, in Polish) River. The card indicates that the distance from Warsaw to St. Petersburg was 1,303 versts, and from Warsaw to Moscow, 1,253¾ versts. A verst is a Russian measurement of distance, no longer used, equal to 1.0668 kilometers.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
9.5 x 6.5 centimeters. Color lithograph
Last updated: June 3, 2015