Concert in St. Mark's Place, Venice, Italy
This photochrome print of Saint Mark’s Square (Piazza San Marco) in Venice is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites in Italy” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The basilica, shown here, was originally built in 832, shortly after the remains of Saint Mark the Evangelist, the patron saint of Venice, were said to have been brought to the city from Alexandria, Egypt by two Venetian merchants. The church was destroyed in a fire, rebuilt at the end of the 10th century, and again in the 11th century. On the right side of the square can be seen the base of the 99-meter brick Campanile, or bell tower, which dates from the 16th century. The square was the main gathering place in the city. The 1906 edition of Baedeker's Italy: Handbook for Travellers noted: "The Place of St. Mark is the heart of Venice, and from this beats new life in every direction, through an intricate system of streets and canals, that bring it back again to the same centre. On summer-evenings all who desire to enjoy fresh air congregate here. The scene is liveliest when the military band plays...and possesses a charm all its own. In winter the band plays on the same days... and the Piazza is then a fashionable promenade.”
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
- Print no. "6980".
Last updated: August 13, 2014