Fountain of Trevi, Rome, Italy
This photochrome print of the Trevi Fountain (Fontana di Trevi) is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites in Italy” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The fountain, 26 meters long by 20 meters wide, stands against the south side of the Palazzo Poli, a Baroque palace that was altered by Luigi Vanvitelli (1700–73) to accommodate the fountain and serve as its backdrop. The fountain dates back to ancient Rome, when this location was the terminal point for the Aqua Virgo aqueduct, which was commissioned in the early first century by the Emperor Augustus to supply water to the thermal baths near the Pantheon. (The name "Trevi" is derived from "Trebium," the former name of the area in which the fountain is located.) Around 1629, under the patronage of Pope Urban VII, the architect Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598–1680) completed a design for a new fountain to replace an earlier one erected on this site in 1453 by Leon Battista Alberti (1404–72). The death of Urban VII derailed construction, however, and it was not until around 1730 that Pope Clement XII decided to restore the Trevi area and the architect Nicola Salvi (1697–1751) was commissioned to realize Bernini's design. Salvi died before he could complete the work, which was continued by Giuseppe Panini and finally completed in 1762. Within the large stone basin of the fountain is a figure of Neptune, the god of the sea, by Pietro Bracci (1700–73), along with figures on the side representing Health and Abundance.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
- Print no. "6780".
Last updated: July 3, 2014