Church of the Annunciation, Interior, Genoa, Italy
This photochrome print of the nave of the Church of the Annunciation (Chiesa dell’Annunciazione) in Genoa is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites in Italy” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The Church of the Annunciation, or the Basilica della Santissima Annunziata del Vastato, is widely considered the most beautiful church in Genoa. Construction was begun by Franciscan monks in 1520. In 1591, a prominent Genoese family, the Lomellinis, undertook an expansion and renovation of the church. The family commissioned the Italian painter Giovanni Andrea Ansaldo (1584–1638) to create a fresco in the church’s dome depicting the Annunciation—the Angel Gabriel’s announcement to Mary that she would give birth to a child and that she was to name him Jesus. The church reflects the Genoese Mannerist and Baroque styles. The nave is ornately decorated with elaborate gilt stucco, inlaid marble, and fresco paintings and sculptures crafted by more than thirty local artists.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
- Print no. "8546".
Last updated: July 3, 2014