Royal Museum, the Court (i.e. Bargello Museum, the Courtyard), Florence, Italy
This photochrome print of the court of the Royal Museum in Florence is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites in Italy” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Construction of the building, which was intended to be a palace, began in 1255, based on a design by the architect Lapo Tedesco (died circa 1280). From the late 13th century to the early 16th century, the building was known as the Palazzo del Popolo (Palace of the People), and was home to the podestà, or the city magistrate. Around 1502, the palace became the headquarters of the Council of Justice and consequently came to serve as the residence of the bargello, or the chief of police, from which it derived the name Palazzo del Bargello. The palace was used as a prison in the 18th century, but in 1865 it became a national museum, housing an extensive collection of works by Michelangelo, Verrocchio, Donatello, and other artists. The palace is designed around an elaborately decorated open courtyard surrounded by an arcade with large octagonal columns and vaulted ceilings. In the center of the court is an octagonal fountain. A 14th-century staircase leads to the second floor. The walls and pillars of the court are covered with coats of arms of magistrates and members of the Rota, or legal officials, as well as emblems specific to certain districts of the city.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
- Print no. "8560".
Last updated: July 3, 2014