Lausanne, General View, Geneva Lake, Switzerland
This photochrome print of Lausanne is part of “Views of Switzerland” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Located in southwestern Switzerland, Lausanne is the second largest city on the shore of Lake Geneva after Geneva itself. It is also the capital of the canton Vaud. Baedeker’s Switzerland and the adjacent portions of Italy, Savoy, and Tyrol (1913) characterized Lausanne as “picturesquely situated on the hillside." The site of a Roman military camp in around 15 BCE called Lousanna, the city evolved over time, with a large expansion taking place in the 13th century. The Cathedral of Lausanne, consecrated in 1275, is one of the city's most significant landmarks.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
- Print no. "6121".
Last updated: September 4, 2013