St. Gall, from Rosenberg, Switzerland
This photochrome print of St. Gall (St. Gallen) from the Rosenberg district is part of “Views of Switzerland” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). St. Gall is a hilly, historic city located in the canton of the same name in northeastern Switzerland. Baedeker’s Switzerland and the adjacent portions of Italy, Savoy, and Tyrol (1913) informed readers that St. Gall was "one of the highest of the larger towns of Europe, capital of the canton, and an episcopal see,” and also “one of the chief industrial towns in Switzerland.” It was named after the Irish monk, St. Gallus, who founded a hermitage there in the seventh century. This spot was expanded into the historic Benedictine Abbey and library, which Baedeker described as "one of the most famous seats of learning in Europe from the 8th century to the 10th century.”
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
- Print no. "8661".
Last updated: May 24, 2017