The Clock Tower, Berne, Town, Switzerland
This photochrome print of the clock tower (Zeitglockenturm) in Bern is part of “Views of Switzerland” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). This tower, with its gilded face, was constructed in 1191 as the old city’s western gate. Over time, the tower also came to function as a city guard tower and a prison. The tower was rebuilt in the 15th century, at which point baroque embellishments were added. The tower’s signature astronomical clock was constructed by Kasper Brunner in 1527. Baedeker’s Switzerland and the adjacent portions of Italy, Savoy, and Tyrol (1913) informed travelers of “a curious clock, which proclaims the approach of each hour by the crowing of a cock, while just before the hours a troop of bears march in procession round a sitting figure.”
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J--foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
- Print no. "531".
Last updated: September 27, 2016