Military Road. Fortress in the Dariel Ravine, Caucasus, Russia
This photochrome print of the military road and fortress in the Dariel Ravine (or Gorge) in the Caucasus is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites Primarily in Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). In 1799–1863, the Russian military constructed the 220-kilometer Georgian Military Highway through the Dariel Pass in the rugged Caucasus Mountains. The road stretched from Vladikavkaz in Russia to Tbilisi in eastern Georgia. The Dariel Fortress (or the Fortress of Vladikavkaz), at the northern end of the military road, was built in 1784, shortly after Russia’s conquest of the region.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., catalogue J--foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905.
- Print no. "8866".
Last updated: February 4, 2015