The Kremlin towards the Place Rouge, Moscow, Russia


This photochrome print of the Moscow Kremlin is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites Primarily in Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The Kremlin is the seat of the Russian government. The word kremlin comes from the Russian for “fortification” or “citadel.” The first settlement on this site, a wooden fort, was built by the founder of Moscow, Yuri Dolgoruky, in 1147, but the structure was not given the name Kremlin until 1331. As described by Baedeker’s Russia with Teheran, Port Arthur, and Peking (1914), “[in] the centre of the city, on a hill rising 130 ft. above the Moskva and dominating the whole of Moscow, rises the Kremlin, in which all the reminiscences of Moscow’s past are united. For the Russian the Kremlin is a holy spot. It is in the Kremlin that the power of the Tzars first receives the sanction of the church... ‘There is nothing above Moscow,’ says a proverb, ‘except the Kremlin, and nothing above the Kremlin except Heaven’.”

Subject Date

Publication Information

Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan


Title in Original Language

Moscou. Le Kremlin

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color


  • The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.

Last updated: July 18, 2014