Peterhof from Castle, St. Petersburg, Russia
This photochrome print of the palace of Peterhof in St. Petersburg is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites Primarily in Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Based on a design by the French architect Alexandre Jean-Baptiste LeBlond (1679–1719), Peterhof is regarded as the Russian Versailles. It was built by Peter the Great (1672–1725) as a summer residence. Located on the shore of the Neva Bay (or Gulf of Kronstadt), the palace offers a view of Kronstadt, the city and fortification founded by Peter in 1703. Shown here is the Samson Fountain, a work by the Russian sculptor Mikhail Kozlovski (1753–1802). As described in Baedeker’s Russia with Teheran, Port Arthur, and Peking (1914), the main feature of the fountain “consists of a bronze-gilt figure of Samson . . . forcing open the jaw of a lion, from which a jet of water as thick as a man’s arm shoots up to a height of 65 ft. The cascade is flanked with about 45 gilded statues, vases, and the like. The space between the palace and the beach, 330 yds. in width, is laid out as a park. The paths skirting the canal are enclosed by lofty pine-trees interspersed with 22 fountains (11 on each side).”
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 14, 2014