Kasan Cathedral, St. Petersburg, Russia
This photochrome print of the Kazan Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan, in St. Petersburg, is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites Primarily in Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The cathedral takes its name from Our Lady of Kazan, the most venerated icon of the Russian Orthodox Church, and was designed by the Russian architect Andrey Voronikhin (1759–1814). According to Baedeker’s Russia with Teheran, Port Arthur, and Peking (1914), the cathedral is “approached by a semicircular colonnade of 136 Corinthian columns, modeled on that of St. Peter’s at Rome. The church, erected in 1801-11 . . . . at a cost of 4 million rubles, is in the form of a cross 236 ft. long and 180 ft. wide. It is surmounted by a metal dome 65 ft. in diameter, the drum of which is adorned with 16 pilasters. The total height to the top of the cross is 260 ft. . . . The bronze doors of the main entrance are copies of the doors of the Baptistry in Florence.”
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 14, 2014