The Newsky, (i.e., Nevskii), Prospekt and the Admiralty, St. Petersburg, Russia
This photochrome print of the Nevsky Prospect and the Admiralty in St. Petersburg is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites Primarily in Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). In his novel, Nevsky Prospect, Gogol wrote of the street, “Step into it, and you step into a fairground.” Named for Alexander Nevsky (1220–63), the 13th-century hero who led Russian armies to victory over German and Swedish invaders, Nevsky Prospekt was planned by Peter the Great (1672-1725) and designed by the French architect Alexandre Jean Baptiste LeBlond (1679–1719). It runs from the Admiralty (visible in this photograph) to the Alexander Nevsky Lavra (Monastery). Baedeker’s Russia with Teheran, Port Arthur, and Peking (1914) described the street as “115 ft. wide and 2 ¾ M. long, being the longest street in St. Petersburg. From the Admiralty it runs in a straight line as far as the Znamenskaya Square, where it trends slightly to the S. and runs through a poorer quarter to the Alexander Nevski Monastery. As far as the part W. of the Anitchkov Bridge is concerned, it is the busiest street in St. Petersburg.” The Admiralty was one of the first structures built in St Petersburg. Construction began in 1704, a year after the founding of the city itself, by command of Peter the Great, who wanted to create a formidable Russian navy. The contemporary structure was built in 1806–23 by Russian architect Adrian Zakharov (1761–1811). It is more than 400 meters wide and 160 meters high, with a commanding golden spire that is more than 70 meters tall.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 14, 2014