Cathedral of SS, Peter and Paul, St. Petersburg, Russia
This photochrome print of the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, the patron saints of St. Petersburg, is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites Primarily in Poland, Russia, and the Ukraine” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Construction of a wooden church on the site of the cathedral began in 1703, one month after the city of St. Petersburg was officially founded. The church was consecrated on April 1, 1704. The stone cathedral was built between 1712 and 1733, under the direction of the Swiss-Italian architect Domenico Trezzini (1670–1734). The new cathedral was consecrated on June 29, 1733. The bell tower burned down on the night of April 29-30, 1756, in a fire caused by lightning. In 1766, Catherine the Great ordered that the bell tower be rebuilt, and the new tower was completed in 1776. The cathedral has served as the burial site of Russian emperors and their families from the time of Peter the Great (1672-1725).
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 14, 2014