Place de la Concorde, Paris, France
This photochrome print of the Place de la Concorde is part of “Views of Architecture, Monuments, and Other Sites in France” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The 1900 edition of Baedeker’s Paris and its Environs, with routes from London to Paris: Handbook for Travellers informed its readers that this famous square was 390 yards long and 235 yards wide, and was bounded on the south by the River Seine, on the west by the Champs-Elysees, on the north by the Ministère de la Marine and the Hôtel Crillon-Coislin, and on the east by the garden of the Tuileries. “It received its present form in 1854, from designs by Hittorff (d. 1876). From the centre of the square a view is obtained of the Madeleine, the Palais de la Chambre des Deputes [Députés], the Louvre, and the Arc de Triomphe de l'Etoile.” At the center of the square is the Obelisk of Luxor, erected by King Ramses II in front of the Temple of Thebes in 1350 BCE and given to France by Mehemet Ali, viceroy of Egypt, in the 1830s.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 8, 2014