Champs Elysees, an Avenue, Paris, France
This photochrome print of the Champs-Elysées in Paris is part of “Views of Architecture, Monuments, and Other Sites in France” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The area of the Champs-Elysées originally consisted of fields and market-gardens. In 1616, Marie de Medici (1575–1642), the widow of Henri IV, extended the Tuileries gardens to create a walkway flanked by trees. The pathway was further extended in 1667 by the landscape architect André Le Nôtre (1613–1700). The avenue, now nearly two kilometers long, stretches between Place de la Concorde and the Arc de Triomphe. As described in the 1900 edition of Baedeker’s Paris and its Environs, with routes from London to Paris: Handbook for Travellers, “this magnificent avenue, flanked with handsome buildings, is one of the most fashionable promenades in Paris."
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 8, 2014