The Opera House, Paris, France
This photochrome print of the Palais Garnier in Paris is part of “Views of Architecture, Monuments, and Other Sites in France” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). In 1858, Emperor Napoleon III ordered the construction of a new opera house to accommodate the Paris opera and ballet companies. The building was designed by Charles Garnier (1825–98) in the Beaux-Arts style and was constructed between 1862 and 1874. The 1900 edition of Baedeker's Paris and its Environs, with routes from London to Paris: Handbook for Travellers described the exterior of the building, as seen in this photograph, thus: "In the center of the building rises a low dome (visible from a distance only), and behind it a huge triangular pediment, above the stage, crowned with an Apollo with a golden lyre in the middle . . . and flanked with two Pegasi." Baedeker also encouraged travelers to enjoy a "pleasant walk along the handsome Avenue de l'Opera, which dates mainly from 1878.”
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: January 27, 2015