Place de la Bastille, Paris, France
This photochrome print of Place de la Bastille in Paris is part of “Views of Architecture, Monuments, and Other Sites in France” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The Bastille (“little bastion”), formally known as the Bastille Saint-Antoine, was built between 1370 and 1383 as a fortress to protect the city of Paris during the Hundred Years’ War. The fortress was converted into a prison in the early 17th century, and the storming of the Bastille by an enraged crowd on July 14, 1789 marked the beginning of the French Revolution. The prison was destroyed during the revolution. The column located at the center of the square is the Colonne de Juillet (July Column), which was constructed in 1831–40 to mark the Revolution of July 1830 that brought to power King Louis-Philippe.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 8, 2014