The Luxembourg Palace, Paris, France
This photochrome print of the Palais du Luxembourg is part of “Views of Architecture, Monuments, and Other Sites in France” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). This palace, which today is the seat of the French Senate, was built between 1615 and 1620 by the French architect Salomon de Brosse (1571–1626) on the site of an older palace, the Hotel du Luxembourg. According to the 1900 edition of Baedeker's Paris and its Environs, with routes from London to Paris: Handbook for Travellers, the palace “bears some resemblance to the Pitti Palace at Florence . . . but at the same time it preserves an unmistakably French character, especially in the corner-pavilions with their lofty roofs." Baedeker described the garden surrounding the palace as "the only remaining Renaissance garden in Paris” and noted: “The garden contains few lawns and not many flowers; but amongst the clumps of tree and the open spaces for children's games there are numerous sculptures."
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 8, 2014