The Louvre, Paris, France


This photochrome print of the Louvre is part of “Views of Architecture, Monuments, and Other Sites in France” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The 1900 edition of Baedeker's Paris and its Environs, with routes from London to Paris: Handbook for Travellers characterized the Louvre as "the most important public building at Paris, both architecturally and on account of its treasures of art . . . , a palace of vast extent, rising between the Rue de Rivoli and the Seine." Baedeker explained that “it is usually supposed that Philip Augustus (1180–1223) erected the first castle here. . . . It was not, however, until the time of Charles V (1364–80), who removed his treasure and library to it, that the château was fitted up in the handsome style appropriate to a royal residence." The palace and the adjacent Tuileries gardens “together cover an area of about 48 acres, forming one of the most magnificent palaces in the world. The effect of the whole is harmonious, in spite of the lack of unity. . . .”

Subject Date

Publication Information

Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan


Additional Subjects

Type of Item

Physical Description

1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color


  • The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.

Last updated: July 8, 2014