Place de la Republique, Paris, France
This photochrome print of Paris is part of “Views of Architecture, Monuments, and Other Sites in France” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The 1900 edition of Baedeker's Paris and its Environs, with routes from London to Paris: Handbook for Travellers described the Place de la République, formerly known as the Place du Château-d’Eau, as “one of the finest squares in Paris.” The square was redesigned and restructured to its present state in the 1850s by Baron Georges-Eugène Haussmann (1809–1891), who is known for his extensive renovation and revitalization of the city. Standing at the center of the square is the bronze statue dedicated to the Third Republic, which was established in 1870 and for which the square was named. The statue was created by the Morice brothers between 1880 and 1883.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 8, 2014