The Pantheon and the Rue Soufflot, Paris, France
This photochrome print is part of “Views of Architecture, Monuments, and Other Sites in France” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Located in the Fifth Arrondissement (district) of Paris near the Luxembourg Gardens, the Panthéon was described in the 1900 edition of Baedeker's Paris and its Environs, with routes from London to Paris: Handbook for Travellers as standing “on the highest ground in the quarters of the city on the left bank, occupying the site of the tomb of Ste. Genevieve (422–512), the patron saint of Paris.” The building was designed by Jacques-Germain Soufflot (1713–80), for whom the adjacent street is named, and constructed between 1764 and 1790. By 1791 (two years after the start of the French Revolution), the structure had become a kind of memorial, carrying an inscription that reads: "Aux grands hommes la patrie reconnaissante" (to great men, from the grateful nation). Among those buried in the Panthéon are the writers Voltaire, Victor Hugo, and Émile Zola, the scientist Marie Curie (the sole woman), and the philosopher René Descartes.
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 8, 2014