The Calvary, St. Paul's Church, Antwerp, Belgium
This photochrome print of St. Paul’s Church in Antwerp is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites in Belgium” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The Church of Saint Paul was built in 1540–71 on the site of a former 13th-century church that had been continually threatened by flooding. The Gothic-style church is known for its numerous sculptures, many of which are featured in the depiction of Calvary, the site where Jesus was crucified, on one side of the church. This composition, which consists of more than 60 sculptures and statues, recounts the last days of the life of Jesus. Baedeker’s Belgium and Holland including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg (1905) described the Calvary as “an artificial mount covered with pieces of rock and slag, garnished with statues of saints, angels, prophets, and patriarchs, and surmounted by a crucifix. The grotto below is intended to represent the Holy Sepulchre at Jerusalem.”
Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Last updated: July 3, 2014