St. Bavon Abbey, the Cloister, Ghent, Belgium


This photochrome print of the cloister in the St. Bavon Abbey is part of “Views of Architecture and Other Sites in Belgium” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). According to Baedeker’s Belgium and Holland including the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg (1905), “the abbey, traditionally said to have been founded about 630 by St. Amandus and restored in 651 by St. Bavon (d. 654), was one of those bestowed upon Eginhard, the biographer of Charlemagne, and after its destruction by the Northmen (851) was restored with great splendour (10th cent.). . . . The chief remnant of the old abbey is the Cloister, dating originally from 1177, but rebuilt in the Gothic style in 1495. Its [south] walk is adjoined by the [north] wall of the Abbey Church, consecrated in 1067 and destroyed by the Calvinists in 1581.”

Subject Date

Publication Information

Detroit Publishing Company, Detroit, Michigan


Type of Item

Physical Description

1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color


  • The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.

Last updated: July 3, 2014