Wagner & Debes was a German firm that specialized in providing maps for inclusion in the famous guidebooks for travelers published by Karl Baedeker in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Eduard Wagner founded the firm as a lithographic press in Darmstadt in 1835. In 1839, Baedeker gave a contract to Wagner for a regular supply of maps for his increasingly popular guidebooks. Propelled by Baedeker’s growth, the firm expanded steadily for the next several decades. In 1872, when Baedeker moved from Koblenz to Leipzig, Wagner also relocated. At the time of the move, Eduard’s son Heinrich took over the business from his father. In Leipzig, he joined forces with Ernst Debes, a noted cartographer from the firm of Justus Perthes in Gotha, to form H. Wagner & E. Debes. In addition to its work for Baedeker, the firm published atlases and wall maps, especially for use in schools. This 1880s map of Venice is typical of the high-quality maps produced by the company, which flourished until the eve of World War II.

Date Created

Subject Date

Publication Information

Wagner & Debes, Leipzig


Title in Original Language


Type of Item

Physical Description

1 color map ; 24 x 35 centimeters


  • Scale 1:12,500

Last updated: August 13, 2014