Antiquities of Samarkand. Madrasah of Tillia Kari. Inner Courtyard (Western Side). Part of a Marble Foundation
This photograph of the interior of the mosque at the Tillia Kari Madrasah in Samarkand (Uzbekistan) is from the archeological part of Turkestan Album. The six-volume photographic survey was produced in 1871-72 under the patronage of General Konstantin P. von Kaufman, the first governor-general (1867-82) of Turkestan, as the Russian Empire’s Central Asian territories were called. The album devotes special attention to Samarkand’s Islamic architecture, such as 14th- and 15th-century monuments from the reign of Timur (Tamerlane) and his successors. In the center of Samarkand is the Registan ensemble, composed of three major examples of a madrasah (religious school). The third Registan component, the Tillia Kari Madrasah, was built in 1646-60 on the site of a former caravanserai. This view, partially underexposed because of limited interior light, shows the lower corner adjacent to the steps to the minbar, or pulpit (to the right; not visible in this photograph). The rich ornamentation shown here includes ceramic work and carved marble. The attached column rests on a marble base and displays a bold pattern of intersecting lines. The dimly visible ceramic panels show intricate geometric and botanical patterns. The projecting rows of the marble cornice at the top of the photograph have a “stalactite” form of dentilation, as does a fragment of the plinth at the lower right.
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Title in Original Language
Самаркандския древности. Медрессэ Тилля Кари. Внуренний двор (западная сторона). Часть мраморнаго цокуля
Type of Item
1 photographic print : albumen
- Illustration in: Turkestan Album, Archaeological Part, 1871-1872, part 1, volume 2, plate 104.
Last updated: September 30, 2016