Antiquities of Samarkand. Inner Courtyard of the Shir Dar Madrasah (Eastern Side). Inscription along the Left Side of the Main Niche
This photograph of the interior courtyard of the Shir Dar Madrasah in Samarkand (Uzbekistan) is from the archeological part of Turkestan Album. The six-volume photographic survey was produced in 1871-72 under the patronage of General Konstantin P. von Kaufman, the first governor-general (1867-82) of Turkestan, as the Russian Empire’s Central Asian territories were called. The album devotes special attention to Samarkand’s Islamic architecture, such as 14th- and 15th-century monuments from the reign of Timur (Tamerlane) and his successors. In the center of Samarkand is the Registan ensemble, composed of three major examples of a madrasah (religious school). The second madrasah in the ensemble, the Shir Dar, was built in 1619-36, during the Astrakhanid dynasty. Despite significant damage over the centuries, it remains one of the most lavishly ornamented monuments in Central Asia. The form of this madrasah consists of a rectangular courtyard enclosed by a two-story arcade with rooms for scholars. This photograph shows the left side of the arch of the iwan (vaulted hall, walled on three sides, with one end open) in the center of the north wall. The surfaces were originally covered with polychrome majolica tiles in elaborate geometric and botanical patterns. Visible here are remnants of a vertical ceramic inscription band in the Thuluth cursive style. At the left is a partial view of the arcade extending from the central arch.
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Title in Original Language
Самаркандския древности. Медресэ Шир-дар. Внутренний двор (вос. сторона). Надпись полевую сторону главной ниши
Type of Item
1 photographic print : albumen
- Illustration in: Turkestan Album, Archaeological Part, 1871-1872, part 1, volume 2, plate 97.
Last updated: September 30, 2016